1. How does Instamic work?
You can see Instamic as two products in one
• 48 / 96kHz 24 bit uncompressed PCM recording
• Mono, Dual-Mono, Stereo*, M/S* ( * Instamic Pro Stereo)
• Remote control 10 units with 1 mobile device
• Monitor and save the session to your phone
• 8Gb internal storage
• Timecode Support (Tentacle Sync E)
A Bluetooth Microphone
• Live stream to your phone (Facebook Live, Instagram Live, Zoom, etc.)
• Compatible with 3rd party apps (Filmic Pro, MoviePro)
• Compatible with Text-to-Speech Apps
• Multiple mounts (velcro, tape, magnet)
• Windshield (optional)
• Covers in 10 different colors (optional)
2. How do I record with Instamic?
There are two ways.
- Standalone Mode - Start recording using the button on the device (the Instamic logo) when Instamic is on.
- Mobile App - Remote control Instamic through your Android or iOS mobile phone.
3. How can I monitor the input signal?
Instamic has 3 LEDs onboard that work as a VU Meter.
When you are controlling Instamic using your mobile device, you can monitor the sound level through a digital VU meter (while recording) and listen to the audio in real-time with your headphones (pre-recording).
4. What is the maximum recording time?
The maximum recording time depends on the recording format you choose. You can record up to 14hrs at 48 kHz / 24 bits Mono and 8hrs at 48 kHz / 24 bits Dual Mono (Instamic) - Dual mono or Stereo (Instamic Pro) uncompressed audio (LPCM WAV format) until the internal memory gets full. You can record continuously for up to 3 hours with the battery fully charged.
5. How long does the battery last?
You will get 3 hours of recording time. The duration can vary depending on charging time, temperature and storage conditions. You can extend the battery life connecting Instamic to a power supply via USB (powerbank or charger).
6. How do I charge my Instamic?
Plug your Instamic into any USB port on your computer or USB Charger. A full charge takes 1.15 hr.
7. Does Instamic have built-in memory?
Yes, there is an 8GB internal memory.
8. How do I use the quick release clip?
Instamic comes with 3 quick-release clips that give you the versatility to take it on and off in seconds. With each Instamic you will get 3 different mounting options: Magnet, Velcro and Tape.
9. Which are the main functions of the mobile app?
Once you pair Instamic with your mobile device, you can Remote Control up to 10 Instamic together, monitor the audio level input, check the Battery and Bluetooth signal level, listen to the audio from Instamic in real-time (One by one, Pre-recording) and set up Instamic as needed (Rec Mode, Sampling Rate, Auto-gain, Rename Instamic, Turn it off).
10. How do I transfer the audio files to my computer
Connect it to your computer using our USB cable. A USB OTG cable will be needed to connect it to your Android device and an original Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter to connect it to your iOS device. Instamic will mount as an external drive on your computer or mobile device. You can now easily transfer your recordings.
11. Can Instamic save the audio take directly to the phone?
Yes. Enable the "Save Monitoring Session" on Settings, and you can monitor in real-time the audio from Instamic and have the Monitoring session saved to your mobile device's memory as shown here.
12. Does Instamic work with the native camera application on iOS and Android?
The native iOS and Android Camera app don't support any Bluetooth Profile / Microphone.
Luckily there are more advanced applications like ProCamera (iOS), FilmicPro (iOS Android) or MoviePro (iOS) that do support the Bluetooth Profile (HFP) and consequently Instamic :-). Using these apps, the Instamic's audio is automatically embedded in the video.
13. Can I live stream on Facebook or Instagram?
Instamic works natively with Facebook Live and Instagram Live for iOS and Android. Procedures here.
14. Can I connect Instamic to my Insta360 camera?
Many Insta360 cameras officially support the Apple Airpods that use the Hands-Free Bluetooth Profile.
Instamic implements the Hands-Free Profile too and that makes the connection with the Insta360 cameras possible.
We still recommend asking Insta360 Customer Support which of their cameras supports the HFP.
Several of our users successfully connected Instamic to the Insta360 One R.
15. It is possible to connect Instamic to a GoPro?
16. It is possible to use Instamic as a radio microphone connected to a mixing console or Bluetooth speaker?
17. Instamic Pro is waterproof. What is the maximum depth?
You can take Instamic up to 3.2 feet for 30 minutes max, according to IP67.
18. How do I update my Instamic's firmware?
You will find the procedure and other important resources here. The Firmware Upgrade application is available on Windows and macOS.
19 What's the difference between Instamic and the Rode Wireless Go?
I would consider them two different products.
The Rode is a transmitter-receiver system, Instamic is a self-contained waterproof audio recorder that can also be used as a Bluetooth microphone with your mobile device on Filmic Pro for example.
I have seen customers using Instamic in parallel with the Rode and I can understand the reason why. Here are some that come out of my mind:
- Instamic is interference-free because it is fully digital. It seems from our users that the Rode can be affected by that.
- Instamic records to its internal memory and it is device-independent. If the subject moves too far, a transmitter-receiver system can suffer from drop-outs.
- Instamic is self-contained (no cables), and it allows you to mic your subject in seconds.
- You can control up to 10 units with one phone. Rode is a one-to-one connection.
- Instamic can stream audio directly to your phone or video app on iOS/Android without receivers/cables.
- Instamic supports the Timecode.
I have designed Instamic to get where other devices cannot get and I see it as the secret weapon that you have in your bag. It doesn't want to substitute traditional setups, even if it can most of the time.
I hope it helps.
Michele - Instamic CEO and videographer.